Free guide to renting a property

Everything you need to know about the process of renting a house

Download Guide

We’ve been helping students, professionals, and families find a new rental home over the years, with XX% of our clients saying they would recommend us.


people have moved with us

Why clients trust us


expert staff ready to help

Meet our team


worth of property sold in 2022

Find a home


average asking price achieved*

Sell or let your home

Reasons why clients trust us

Customers, and the service we provide for them, are at the heart of everything we do. We know it matters to them to work with a local property expert that they can trust.

Local Knowledge - David Astburys

Local Knowledge

Our teams of property experts are all local residents who’ve moved into and around Islington and Crouch End - just like you!
Our unrivalled knowledge and experience of the local market can help you get an accurate property valuation and find the best buyer at the best price - all at a time scale that works for you.

Local Area Guides
Experienced Team - David Astburys

Experienced Team

We’ve worked with different sellers in the neighbourhood, so we know our stuff - from legal processes and regulatory changes to what makes buyers tick.

Let us take the pressure off you and handle everything from valuation to completing the sale.

Meet our team
Available 7 days a week - David Astburys

Available 7 days a week

Not only will you have your own Client Manager to look after the whole selling process and be with you every step of the way, we’ve also got plenty of advice to offer whenever you need it - whether it’s on conveyancing, mortgage, or financial services.

Get in touch
Book a valuation - David Astburys

Book a valuation

Are you looking to Sell or Let your property?

Why Use David Astburys?

Moving to a new area? Need to find an affordable rental home quickly? We know that feeling.

Get ready to be dazzled by the variety of rental homes we offer - whether you’re looking for a detached house with outdoor space or a modern apartment with city views.
With a great list of rental properties available to choose from and our local experts’ intimate knowledge of the area, we can’t wait to help you find a property that meets your lifestyle needs for a fair price.

- block module image
frequently asked questions

Let us help answer some of the most common questions about renting a property.

The landlord is responsible for insurance covering the building and any furniture that it comes with the property. As a tenant, we would recommend that you take out tenants contents insurance to insure your own possessions as these are not covered by the landlord’s insurance.

Yes, as a tenant, you are legally required to pay rent until the end of the tenancy agreement or any release clause agreed. A tenancy agreement is signed by both tenant and landlord and it is legally binding. Your landlord may agree to end the tenancy earlier, but you will be expected to cover the costs and financial losses incurred.

Although landlords do allow renting with pets or children, many choose to avoid doing so due to the risk of damage involved. Despite how cautious a tenant may be, a rented property with pets or children is more susceptible to damage.

Details of which bills are to be paid for by the tenant will be listed in the tenancy agreement. Typically, the tenant is responsible for utility bills such as, gas, electricity and water, as well as council tax and the TV license.

A tenant should always make sure they notify the TV Licensing of their new address. Without a license the tenant risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

This term will appear in the tenancy agreement if there is more than one tenant renting the property. It means that all tenants must take responsibility, both individually and together. All tenants are, as a group, responsible for making sure the rules of the tenancy agreement are adhered to. For example, if one tenant fails to pay the rent, the other tenants are legally responsible for the shortfall in rent.

Our tenancy renewals team will contact both you and your landlord, usually three months before the end of the tenancy, to find out each parties plans. Any new tenancy contract will be subject to you agreeing new terms with your landlord.

You need to do this in line with the fixed term in your tenancy agreement. You must provide written notice to let your landlord know that you would like to end the tenancy agreement. If you have agreed a break clause in the fixed term agreement and want to use this, then you need to comply with those terms. We advise, referring to your tenancy contract.

If you go over the fixed term, you will need to give your landlord written notice. The minimum notice is usually one month however this could be longer. Details of this will be in your tenancy agreement.

A tenancy deposit offers the landlord peace of mind, that when the tenancy ends the property will be left in good condition and you will have acted in line with the tenancy conditions. It is usually equivalent to six weeks rent.

At David Astburys we protect tenant deposits for Assured Shorthold Tenancies (AST) with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS), which is run by The Dispute Service Ltd. This is one of the Government approved schemes. However, sometimes a landlord will wish to take responsibility for protecting your deposit with this scheme or one of the others.

No. As tenants you should act together, so the tenancy does not end until you all give the landlord back vacant possession of the property, under terms set out in the tenancy agreement – your landlord does not have to agree to alter these terms. Even if your landlord does agree that you can leave and find someone to take your place, it is not as easy as just changing a name on the existing tenancy agreement. The new tenant will need to be referenced, have new tenancy contracts signed by everyone staying on, the deposit paid and re-protected, and a new inventory will have to carried out. Your landlord will probably expect you to cover these costs, at least.

Some landlords will accept smoking outside the rented property but not inside. Other landlords insist that their rented property is only let to non-smokers. Although the tenant obligations are detailed in the tenancy agreement, if in doubt just ask your agent to clarify the landlords’ policy.

Tenants and landlords both have rights and obligations. Some are set out explicitly in the tenancy agreement. The main things to be aware of are property repairs, use of the property and giving property access to the landlord.

Property repairs – a tenant will be responsible for any property repairs that are the fault of the tenant. The tenant is normally responsible for the interior condition of the property, but the tenancy agreement should be checked first as some landlords don’t allow tenants to redecorate. Tenants must pay for anything that is broken or damaged in the property during the tenancy. If the tenant does not pay for this at the time the landlord can deduct the cost from the tenancy deposit.

Use of the property – a tenant must use the property solely for residential purposes, not to run a business of any kind, as this may put the landlord in breach of local bye laws.

Property access for the landlord – the landlord will need to visit from time to time to carry out repairs and safety checks and will have a set of keys to the property, but they should never use these without the tenant’s consent, except in an emergency. to check that the building is in good condition. A tenant must allow the landlord property access, but the landlord should always let the tenants know first.

The landlord will need to visit the rented property from time to time to complete repairs and safety checks, and to check that the rented property is in good condition. A tenant must allow a landlord property access however, the landlord is required to let a tenant know in advance of a visit to the property. The landlord will have a set of keys to the property, but they should never use these without the tenant’s consent, except in an emergency.

At David Astburys, we instruct a professional independent referencing agency on behalf of our landlords to carry out reference checks on all potential tenants and guarantors. The referencing agency will require you (and your guarantor if applicable) to complete an online application form. The agency, will check your credit history, employer and previous landlord references. If you are self-employed, you will need to provide audited accounts covering a period of 12 months. The referencing agency will then use this information to establish if you qualify for the tenancy.

You could lose the property you are renting. When you sign your tenancy agreement, you are entering into a legally binding contract with your landlord, agreeing to pay the agreed amount of rent and on specific days. If you fail to make payments, you will be in breach of these terms. Your landlord may be able to serve notice asking you to move out on or after a particular date, or if you are more than two months’ in arrears the landlord may apply straight to the county court and request an order of possession of their property.

Once the inventory checkout has been completed you will need to agree with your landlord whether any deductions should be made from your deposit. Once we have written confirmation from you and the landlord agreeing the amount (if any), we will arrange for the payments to be made. This should be sent to you within 10 days of us receiving the final confirmation.

Hear what our clients are saying about us

Read our reviews